South Pasadena, California
Howard Longley was the brother-in-law of Dr. Greene’s
sister, Alice. The 1897 South Pasadena commission was generously
budgeted but underwent many changes during the design process.
The Greenes first designed a combination Mission Revival/Georgian
home but the Longley’s were not satisfied with the concept.
At least two more designs were presented until the final design
was accepted. A portico resembling a pagoda-like pavilion
dominates the home. The portico conceals a modified Federal-style
doorway with leaded art glass fanlight transom and vertical
sidelights. Significant decorative details such as animal-head
brackets and scrolled downspout hardware appear throughout.
In 1910, Charles and Henry Greene designed an addition to
the Howard Longley House for new owner Frank C. Bolt.